Tuesday, August 4, 2009











I have to say this is one of the greatest accomplishments so far. I spent 3 days working on the cake. It was very dear to my heart as it was celebrating the life of my late grandfather and his identical twin brother. We were to celebrate my Great Uncle's 90th on July 11. He passed away on June 13. Just one month shy, so with keeping of my idea on the cake we got together as a family to celebrate their memory. They did everything together, so here's the story. They spent their younger years in the Navy serving in World War II. Which is the left side of the cake. The middle is dedicated to their 40+ years at the Georgia Power Plant Atkinson. The right side was one of their biggest feats and that was to hike the Appalachian trail, the entire thing in their 60's. They were truly amazing men and it thrilled my heart to do this cake in rememberance of them. Everything was edible except the AT trail sign. I made that of paper. Everything else was made from Fondant and Gumpaste. The building is RKT covered in fondant. The tent and cattails were gumpaste. And the cute trees were ice cream cones and Royal Icing.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness!! This cake is amazing! It brought tears to my eyes reading the story!

    ReplyDelete